"Do one thing every day that scares you"


And I'm confirmed. I'm 10% nervous, 100% excited, and 14% bad at math. It's been over a dozen years since I competed in a combat sport. I'm a completely different person in a completely different sport. I have no idea how it'll go, but I'm excited to represent my team and my coach and hazard some Jiu-Jitsu through the adrenaline dump.

Really, I'm not expecting a lot. I want to do my best and leave everything I have on the mat, but I've read how first BJJ comps tend to go for people. It's a strange dichotomy of trying to meter my expectations versus that faux-fighters' confidence where you (have to) believe that you'll beat literally anyone that's put in front of you; otherwise you've already lost.

I've got about a month to sharpen up as much as I can. It's time to get to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aikido, Past Present and Future. Part Two, Present: The never-ending "effectiveness" debate

Guest Article, Josephine Fan: Perceptions of the Aikido Community

Aikido, Past Present and Future. Part 1, Past: My Journey Into (and out of) Aikido